This blog will provide you with all the information you need to set up your carp fishing essentials as a beginner in 2023.
1. Carp Fishing Rods
The first thing you’ll need is a good quality carp fishing rod. The size and weight of the rod depend on the size of the water you’re fishing in. For smaller waters, use a 10-foot rod with around 3lb test curve for easy travel and portability. If you’re fishing in larger waters, use a 12-foot rod with a higher test curve to cast further distances when mark and spombing out bait.
- HMC+ Lightweight Carbon Blank
- Quality Reel Seat
- Slim Profile Full Shrink Handle
- LS Ceramic Rings
- The two 10ft Stalker rods as well as the BWC2300(40)-AX feature a 40mm butt guide, while all others feature a 50mm guide.
2. Carp Fishing Reels
The reel should be able to handle the weight of the line and the fish you’re targeting. A good quality reel with a smooth drag system is recommended. Look for a reel with a line capacity of at least 250 yards.
- Gear Ratio: 4.6:1
- Line Capacity mm/m: 0,30-370 / 0,35-240 / 0,40-140 / 0,45-110 pound/yds: 10/300, 12/265, 14/210, 20/120
- Line Retrieve: 87 centimeter
- Weight: 550 gram – 19.4 ounce
- Bearings: 1 Shielded Stainless Steel
3. Carp Lines
The lines should have a test strength of 12lb or 15lb preferably.
- Maximum weight supported: 15 lb. (6.8 kg)
- Diameter: 0.35 mm
- Length: 1030 M
4. Carp Rod Holder
Investing in a rod holder is important as it keeps your rod securely in place and allows you to focus on other aspects of your fishing.
- Designed for use with up to 3 rods, the Leeda rod pod has many features and overall looks of more expensive pods on the market, but at a fraction of the price.
- The Leeda rod pod can be used in a variety of ways to offer the best choice for anglers who fish a variety of venues and require maximum support for their rods.
- The Leeda rod pod includes the pod, buzz bars and also 8×10 inch single bank sticks, meaning it can be used in multiple ways. The pod is also supplied in a sturdy carry bag that has enough space to take 3 alarms and indicators to allow for these items to be kept on the buzz bars for quick set up once at the chosen swim.
5. Bite Alarm and Bobbin
A bite alarm set will alert you when there’s action on your line. Invest in a reliable bite alarm system that is sensitive enough to detect even the slightest bites and is adjustable to different fishing conditions. Also, use bobbins to help detect any movement on your line more easily.
- Classic old school look Carp fishing bobbins
- Incredibly effective Carp fishing bite indication; Weight 10g
- Injection moulded with an opaque coloured main body with two transparent isotope windows
- Fitted with a 6ins black ball chain; Moulded line friendly pivoting ball line clip
- Removable cap allows isotope (not supplied) to be inserted and perfectly align the line clip and isotope window
A good quality bankstick is necessary to hold your rod and bite alarm securely in place. A 16-inch bankstick would be suitable for most fishing situations.
- SECURE ROD REST – The width of the arms can be adjusted to perfectly suit any rod butt via an adjustment system cleverly housed inside the central screw thread
- PREMIUM ROD BUTT GRIPS – The Flexi-Grip arms are designed with a small amount of inherent flex and feature rubberised grips for a secure grip on any rod butt
- EASY TO USE – Simply loosen the bolt inside the screw thread using the supplied Allan key, set the back rest to the size you need and then lock the arms in place by tightening the bolt
- SOLAR QUALITY – The universally compatible 3/8″ BSF screw fitting will fit with most bank sticks and buzz bars, these carp rod butt rests are a great addition to your carp fishing gear
- SOLAR TACKLE – With over 30 years of history, Solar Tackle have been responsible for designing and producing effective, quality carp fishing accessories
7. Landing Net and Unhooking Mat
A good quality landing net and unhooking mat are essential to safely handle and release the fish once caught. A 36-inch landing net should be sufficient for most carp fishing situations.
8. Tackle Box and Terminal Tackle
A tackle box is necessary to store and organize your fishing gear. It should contain basic needles, hooks, bait stops, leg clips, swivels, and braid or pre-tied rigs and other terminal tackles necessary for carp fishing.
- The ideal system for all small items and rigs neat and sorts to store
- 1 x XXL Box with lid 36.5 cm x 29 cm x 6 cm
- 6 x Small Boxes with Lids + 1 Rig Board
9. Bait Casting Tools
Bait casting tools such as PVA bags and spawns are essential carp fishing gear for presenting your bait accurately.
Finally, stock up on boilies and bait to attract carp to your line. There is a wide range of carp bait you can choose from. Research and experiment with different flavours and colours to find what works best for you.
In conclusion, we hope this guide helps you build a successful carp fishing setup. Remember to invest in high-quality gear, maintain proper care and maintenance, and stay safe while fishing. Carpe Diem!